Amerika Forum - USA 4 ALL - Informatie

Amerika forum door USA4ALL!

Amerika Vakantie Routes en hulp bij uw planning. Uiteraard kunt u hier ook terecht voor andere Amerikaans gerelateerde vragen over de Verenigde Staten van Amerika!
Als u zich registreert als lid, ziet u minder advertenties! Bovendien ziet u meer onderwerpen, zoals bijv. voorgestelde routeopties en krijgt u toegang tot de veel gestelde vragen. Bij aanmelding heeft u geen last meer van dit bericht.

Rijbewijs

Discussie gestart

jos

Hallo,

Ik zit met een aantal vragen. Ik ben van plan om in 2007(of anders 2008) een seizoen lang te gaan werken bij een custom harvester. Je trekt dan van zuid naar noord om de gewassen te oogsten. Mijn vraag is; wat voor een verschillende rijbewijzen zijn er in amerika eigenlijk? en wat zijn de vertalingen daarvan.
In NL hebben we het gewone autorijbewijs(B), dat heet toch gewoon Drivers License? Maar nu lees ik ook veel op internet over een CDL, een Commercial Drivers License. Voorzover ik weet staat dat voor een vrachtwagen rijbewijs. Wordt er in de VS ook nog onderscheid gemaakt tussen de verschillende rijbewijzen voor vrachtwagens(met of zonder aanhanger, oplegger e.d.). En hoe staat het met het rijden met een aanhanger achter een gewone auto? Zijn er mensen die mij hiermee verder kunnen helpen of misschien een website kunnen tippen waarop dit allemaal staat uitgelegd, omdat ik er zelf nog niet helemaal uit kom.

groeten, Jos
#1 - 29-08-2006, 19:48 uur

Loek

Het rijbewijs is de minste van je zorgen. heb je een werkvisum voor de periode die je in gedachte hebt?  Zo ja, dan hoef je allleen te zorgen voor een CDL, je werkgever kan je daar verder mee helpen.
#2 - 29-08-2006, 21:44 uur

bgroeneveld

Leuke baan. Ik heb een tijd geleden een verhaal gemaakt over zo'n man, heeft in het Agrarisch Dagblad gestaan en op Reuters (ik heb dat Reuters verhaal nog wel ergens als je belangstelling hebt).

Inderdaad een werkvegunning is nodig. De man die ik gesproken heb, had allerlei auto's, dus je kunt er dan vast wel eentje rijden.

Hoe ben je overigens met die mensen in contact gekomen? Ik meen me te herinneren, dat er een organisaite van custom harvesters is ergens.

Maar je moet wel een goede hebben, ik heb de man gesproken in South Dakota (het stadje Faith, met 1 cafe dat 's ochtends ontbijt serveerde, 's middags lunch, dan avondeten en daarna werd het een nachtclub), ze hebben daar een week vast gezeten omdat er geen werk was.

#3 - 31-08-2006, 18:08 uur

jos

@bgroeneveld:

Is het mogelijk dat je dat verhaal naar mij toestuurt via de mail? Het lijkt mij wel een erg interresant verhaal. Ik denk dat ik daar wel wat aan kan hebben in mijn voorbereiding en verwachtingen enzo.

#4 - 31-08-2006, 19:44 uur

bgroeneveld

Heb dat verhaal opgestuurd. Als meer mensen belangstelling hebben...
#5 - 31-08-2006, 20:06 uur

Loek

Is het te lang om hier te posten?  Ik kan me voorstellen dat eer meer mensen die dat willen lezen.  Ik in iedergeval wel.
#6 - 31-08-2006, 20:45 uur

bgroeneveld

Voor uw aller leesplezier:

RTna 10/01 1136  FEATURE-Harvest nomads ply ancient trade on Plains

Copyright, 1997 Reuters Ltd.  All rights reserved. The following news report may not be republished or redistributed, in whole or in part, without the prior written consent of Reuters Ltd.

By Benno Groeneveld
     FAITH, S.D. (Reuter) - Faith is a speck of a town in the middle of South Dakota, but finding Terry Litton here is not easy.
     The man at the gas station says he's at the Williams farm. There they say he might be in the next village down the road. At the grain elevator the manager directs a visitor to the Schuhhardt farm, down a dirt road.
     Terry Litton is a custom harvester, one of perhaps 1,600 in the United States. He is today's version of the wandering harvester who roamed medieval Europe, a scythe on his back.
     As the golden autumn harvest peaks in this part of the Great Plains, these nomads are again on the move.
     The modern freelance harvester drives some 60,000 miles south to north and back again south, cutting wheat, soybeans, corn and milo for farmers who either don't have their own equipment or have more bounty from the land than their machines can handle.
     Litton's year begins in May when he takes his crew and his equipment to Chattanooga, Oklahoma, to start cutting wheat. His road then winds north to Ness City, Kansas; Haxton, Colorado or Paxton, Nebraska, and then back to Kansas, up to Sturgis, South Dakota; to Bismarck, North Dakota, and sometimes farther north to Devils Lake, nearly to the  Canadian border.
     When the waves of wheat in the Northern Plains have fallen before his blades, usually by mid-September, Litton turns south again for the milo or soybeans in Kansas, Oklahoma and sometimes West Texas.

SMALL CARAVAN ON THE ROAD
     He does not travel light. His caravan consists of two large combine harvesters, trailers to pull them behind two pickup trucks, a service van plus two large house trailers.
     "Last year I got home (Alva, Oklahoma) on Nov. 4, but some years I have gone on until January," Litton said.
     The work itself is fairly simple.
     "My daughter started driving a combine when she was 15," he said. But the days are long.
     "You get up at 6, work on the equipment, start cutting as soon as the fields are dry, 10:30, 11 o'clock at the latest, and we go as long as we can, sometimes until 1 a.m. You then clean up the equipment, go to bed and get up at 6 to start all over again," he told Reuters.
     On good days, Litton can cut 200 acres with two combines. On bad days, the crew just waits while Litton works the telephone from the house trailer or his cell phone from wherever he happens to be.
     The telephone is his lifeline to contacts, colleagues and farmers he has worked with and for. On the road he calls ahead trying to line up new work.
     "I try to get commitments of about 1,000 acres  per stop," Litton says. "But I have unloaded for as little as 60 acres, hoping that I would hear of other work in the neighborhood or that farmers seeing me work, will hire me."

Here in Faith in early in September, luck seems to have stalled. Litton cut about 50 acres at the Schuhhardt farm and then spent a week fruitlessly calling around North Dakota to line up work.

FEES DEPEND ON CONDITION, SIZE OF FIELD
     When he works, Litton charges somewhere between $15 and $30 an acre depending on the condition and size of the field.
     But when there is no work, the expenses continue. There are the loans on the combines (which cost from $130,000 to $150,000 each), gasoline for the trucks, wages for two assistants, the food for everybody, the maintenance on the two house trailers and the telephone.
     There's also the cost of relaxing a little bit on the road at places like the Wrangler cafe and bar in Faith, where Litton and his crew enjoy drinks, a pool table and a dartboard.
     Terry Litton's crew is small not because there isn't enough work but because he can't find people willing to work. The other combine driver, Jeff Slayden of Clarksville, Tennessee, has worked with Litton for three years.
     But truck driver Mike Rhyne was hired off the road, as he was hitchhiking from Minnesota back to his home in Washington state.
     "I've been doing this for 20 years ... every April when I see a combine go by, I say 'I want to go on the road again'," Litton said.
     In the winter he helps erect steel buildings in Oklahoma and Kansas; but he'd rather be in the fields.
     "If my wife would let me," he said, "I'd like to go to Australia to work the harvest there."

#7 - 01-09-2006, 05:25 uur

Loek

Mooi verhaal, bedankt Benno. 
#8 - 01-09-2006, 19:13 uur

leden:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15