Amerika Forum - USA 4 ALL - Informatie

Amerika forum door USA4ALL!

Amerika Vakantie Routes en hulp bij uw planning. Uiteraard kunt u hier ook terecht voor andere Amerikaans gerelateerde vragen over de Verenigde Staten van Amerika!
Als u zich registreert als lid, ziet u minder advertenties! Bovendien ziet u meer onderwerpen, zoals bijv. voorgestelde routeopties en krijgt u toegang tot de veel gestelde vragen. Bij aanmelding heeft u geen last meer van dit bericht.

Bush en zijn CreditCard

Discussie gestart

MiamiHeat

Toch weer een interressant stuk...............

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/12780140.htm

Een ieder mag er het zijne van denken.

#1 - 01-10-2005, 20:24 uur

Vegas

Waar gaat het over.... ik moet me eerst registreren bij de Miami Harold om het te kunnen lezen....
Daar heb ik niet zo'n zin in.
#2 - 26-10-2005, 12:58 uur

MiamiHeat

Oeps sorry...............was ff vergeten dat ik member ben :-[

Hierbij het hele stuk.

IN MY OPINION

Mr. Bush, when do the bucks stop?

BY ANA VECIANA-SUAREZ

[email protected]

Dear President Bush,

Thought you might like to know about a conversation I had with one of my sons about fiscal responsibility. It's the kind of talk that every parent should have with a child. But if your recent actions are any indication, Mama Barbara probably forgot.

I just read that it's costing the government nearly $1 billion a day to help the victims of the last two hurricanes. The cost of Katrina alone has been estimated at $200 billion. A lot of zeroes, that's for sure. But if anyone deserves a hand up, surely it's these unfortunate souls -- and I'm not questioning that.

There is, however, the matter of the needless billions spent in Iraq. And while you might consider it admirable to take on so many tasks, to make your mark on history by spreading us as thin as onion skin, I must ask: How are we going to pay for all this?

Cut domestic programs, you've bravely said. Ahem -- you obviously didn't whip out your calculator. These cuts aren't nearly enough to offset the astronomical costs of both waging war and rebuilding the Gulf Coast. In any case, all that vague talk about cuts has been rejected by Congressional leaders on both sides. Seems to me no one wants to sacrifice.

So again I ask: How are we going to pay for all this?

Borrowing, of course. Another bad idea. Back in September 2000, eight months into your first term, the Treasury Department reported a budget surplus of $237 billion at the end of the fiscal year. Today we have a $333 billion deficit. That's mind-boggling. Staggering. Outrageous.

To figure out what all this is costing me personally, I looked up the U.S. National Debt Clock, which claims that each citizen's share of the debt, children included, amounts to more than $26,690. Ouch!

Of course, you did have help spending our money. We had 9/11 and the stock bubble burst and now twin meteorological tragedies. And yes, you've promised to cut the deficit in half by 2009. Still, no one really believes this will ever happen. A couple of senior fellows at the Brookings Institution have written that our country's fiscal policy is on ''an unsustainable path,'' and this was back in December 2004, long before Katrina and Rita. More recently, the International Monetary Fund derided your promise to cut the deficit, calling it ``relatively unambitious.''

The IMF is worried that our huge budget and trade deficits pose a risk to the global economy. Hell, they pose a risk to our economy. By the way, the IMF also suggested a better goal would be to eliminate the deficit by 2010 with the help of tax increases. An unpopular idea, true, but something to consider, especially since the tax cuts that went into effect in 2001 have cost us $859 billion in lost revenues and 30 percent of that has ended up in the wallets of the nation's top 1 percent of taxpayers.

The chances of you doing this, though, are zip. Zilch. Nothing. Nada.

What's more, you haven't crunched the numbers or shown us the figures or detailed a plan we can afford. Which sounds a lot like fuzzy math. In the big leagues of government, I think they call that voodoo economics.

So I ask, and I do so as a mother worried about the future of her children, as a mother who fears that a president is acting like a teenager with a new credit card, as a mother who realizes that the future is being mortgaged to sustain present habits:

How are we really going to pay for all this?
#3 - 26-10-2005, 17:23 uur

leden:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15