Amerika Forum - USA 4 ALL - Informatie

Amerika forum door USA4ALL!

Amerika Vakantie Routes en hulp bij uw planning. Uiteraard kunt u hier ook terecht voor andere Amerikaans gerelateerde vragen over de Verenigde Staten van Amerika!
Als u zich registreert als lid, ziet u minder advertenties! Bovendien ziet u meer onderwerpen, zoals bijv. voorgestelde routeopties en krijgt u toegang tot de veel gestelde vragen. Bij aanmelding heeft u geen last meer van dit bericht.

Slecht nieuws voor de "West Wing" fans onder ons!

Discussie gestart

B-man

Als "West Wing" fan schrok ik toch wel een beetje van dit nieuws.

B-man

'West Wing' actor dies at 58
John Spencer played VP candidate Leo McGarry on hit show

Friday, December 16, 2005; Posted: 10:24 p.m. EST (03:24 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- John Spencer, who played a tough and dedicated politico on "The West Wing" who survived a serious illness to run for vice president, died of a heart attack Friday. He was 58.

Spencer died after being admitted to a Los Angeles hospital during the night, said his publicist, Ron Hofmann. He would have been 59 on Tuesday.

He was "one of those rare combinations of divinely gifted and incredibly generous," said Richard Schiff, who plays Toby Ziegler on the NBC series.

"There are very few personal treasures that you put in your knapsack to carry with you for the rest of your life, and he's one of those," Schiff said. He said Spencer had been struggling with health issues but seemed to have rebounded.

Spencer played Leo McGarry, the savvy and powerful chief of staff to President Josiah "Jed" Bartlet (Martin Sheen). In a sad parallel to life, Spencer's character suffered a heart attack that forced him to give up his White House job.
#1 - 17-12-2005, 15:37 uur
"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America"

NYC in 4 dagen! : http://www.verenigdestaten.info/new-york-city-in-een-weekend-4-dagen/

TigersFan

Groot West Wing fan en ben hier toch wel heel erg van geschrokken. Schaduw over deze dag, die o zo passend donker en somber is.

Leo & John, rust in vrede. Jullie worden gemist. Bedankt voor alle mooie herinneringen.

Een paar mooie Leo McGarry quotes:

" I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution."

"Well then, you're just as stupid as these people who think that capital punishment will act as a deterrent to drug kingpins. As if drug kingpins didn't live their day to day lives under the possibility of execution, and their executions are a lot less dainty than ours, and tend to take place without the bother and expense of due process. So, my friend, if you want to start using American military strength as the arm of the Lord, you can do that. We're the only superpower left. You can conquer the world, like Charlemagne. But you better be prepared to kill everyone. And you had better start with me because I will raise up an army against you and I will beat you. "

"What do you want me--'The President while riding a bike on his vacation in Jackson Hole came to a sudden arboreal stop.' What do you want from me?"

"If we're going to walk into walls I want us running into them full speed. We're going to lose some of these battles, and we might even lose the White House, but we're not going to be threatened by issues. We're going to bring 'em front and center. We're going to raise the level of public debate in this country, and let that be our legacy."

"The President's nothing if not contemplative, Senator.  The man makes the Prince of Denmark seem reactionary."

"Because I'm tired of it. Year, after year, after year, after year, having to choose between the lesser of who cares. Of trying to get myself excited about a candidate who can speak in complete sentences. Of setting the bar so low I can hardly look at it. They say a good man can't get elected. Well, I don't believe that."
#2 - 17-12-2005, 19:17 uur

MiamiHeat

Schrik er ook echt van..............tis toch geen leeftijd om te overlijden.

Tis deze week toch al raak met het overlijden van de moeder van een goede collega van mij en het overlijden van de (schoon)vader van zeer goede vrienden van ons  :'(

Maandag heb ik twee begrafenissen...................

Altijd in deze tijd van het jaar (november - december) overlijden er zoveel mensen...........moet echt aan de tijd van het jaat liggen.

Laat de winter maar weer snel voorbij zijn............

#3 - 17-12-2005, 19:23 uur

Kinneret

Ik heb na woensdag en donderdag ook een wake en begrafenis achter de rug. Een zestienjarige jongen nog wel!  :'( Trieste tijden maken we ook mee.
#4 - 17-12-2005, 23:14 uur

Jez

Hier nog 1: afgelopen maandag iemand begraven. Maar de beste man is 94 geworden, dus het zal eerder aan de hoge leeftijd dan aan het jaargetijde gelegen hebben  :icon_wink:
#5 - 17-12-2005, 23:58 uur
Reisverslagen: www.eysbroek.nl - Instagram: @jezphotos

B-man

Hier nog 1: afgelopen maandag iemand begraven. Maar de beste man is 94 geworden, dus het zal eerder aan de hoge leeftijd dan aan het jaargetijde gelegen hebben  :icon_wink:

Ik denk ook niet dat het echt iets met jaargetijden te maken heeft. Bij zelfmoorden is dit wel zo en dat heeft vooral te maken met Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) wat voornamelijk in de winter speelt (er is ook een "zomerse" variant maar die is zeer zeldzaam). Maar ja, jaargetijde of niet, het is nooit leuk om iemand te verliezen (en zeker niet als ze zeer jong zijn zoals Kinneret beschreef)  :(  :( :(

B-man
#6 - 18-12-2005, 14:16 uur
"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America"

NYC in 4 dagen! : http://www.verenigdestaten.info/new-york-city-in-een-weekend-4-dagen/

leden:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15